16 November 2006

A Walk in the Woods

by Bill Bryson
274 pages

A co-worker loaned me this book after we had a brief conversation about walking the Appalachian Trail. I've been considering various 40th birthday trips and thought it would be a good goal for me to have... to walk the trail during my 40th year.

This book starts off in a typical Bryson amusing fashion, but ends rather soberly and profoundly with the author in deep thought regarding what I see as his challenge with Nature and how nature won.

But it ends with a positive tone and left me not wanting to hike the trail. And so my quest for a great 40th birthday trip continues.

1 comment:

  1. A friend of mine went to a Buddhist monastery near San Jose. Each year a monk comes and teaches people how to make bread. He is a famous Buddhist baker.

    My friend isn't into Buddhism but he does like bread and they have nice quiet rooms for meditation -- and a really cool hot tub.

    The place is way off the road in a beautiful setting.

    I think that sounds like a good place for you to celebrate and reflect on 40 years.

    ReplyDelete