04 January 2007

BSU--National Champs?

Fox shows lots of crowd shots which I found interesting (annoying early in the game and then fascinating as the emotional roller coaster was on full tilt).

I was empathetic toward the Sooner fans as they are much like Husker fans (plus, I'm sure BSU fans are really annoying--particularly to a legendary power-house like OU). The shock they must of felt that Boise St was ahead the entire game, then the raw, ecstatic, joy when they ran the interception back for a TD; and then the sobering and
shocking realization that they were going into overtime... all they had was hope for a little sooner magic. I think deep in their hearts they knew that the broncos had the advantage in OT. It wasn't yet midnight and they were still at the ball (where are those evil step-sisters when you need them?)!

The Boise St fans were equally entertaining, but their joy was sustained throughout... until OU got the ball with a few minutes left in the game. That's when I knew it would get interesting, the Broncos were worn out and the Sooners were incensed. I had been saying since the championship game that Boise St would beat the Sooners; I felt my prediction going down the toilet when the sooners got the ball with just enough time to score. Oh, too bad. I enjoy rooting for the underdogs and they played well enough to win, so they should be proud that they played so....

what? we're going to overtime!? Figures. I have to work in the morning!

It was such a slow-motion moment when the running back from BSU was running to the endzone, he was still 5 yards away but he knew (and so did everyone else) that he was going to score the two points; I'm not sure i've ever seen a more joyous run!

I recall a replay of the two broncos who were in shock after the play. I also recall a tight end hollering at a lineman on the Bronco sideline just after OU ran the interception back for a TD, "We're NOT giving up! We're not tired! We're going to give it our ALL until the clock reads zero! We can DO THIS! This game is not over yet! We got a lot more fight in us!" After that speech the lineman nodded and stood up and high-fived the guy. He was clearly exhausted and ready to lie down, but that speech reminded him of the reason they were there.

That's is what college football is all about. An instant classic! I love it!

1 comment:

  1. My father-in-law happened to call a friend before the game to chat and the friend mentioned that he had seats for the bowl game, would he like to go?

    So Gary ends up a couple rows from the field in the corner of the end zone where the winning run would end. Here is what he said about it:

    "I was in a box seat right in the first row five feet from the field next to the end zone where the winning extra two point conversion was scored. The player from Boise State who caught the pass in the end zone then threw the ball right over my head into the stands. The Boise State fans surged forward and the railing on the right side of the box collapsed and about 10 people fell about 5 feet onto the field below. It was very dangerous. I jumped up to the next level of chairs when that happened because I was afraid the rail in front of me would collapse also. Luckily, it didn't.
    The dog patrols....mean looking German Shepard like dogs ......and some horses with riders from the horse patrol came over to contain the crowd from surging onto the field and collapsing even more of the railing. It was absolute mayhem at the end."

    and then he later added:

    "Johnson, the guy who scored the touchdown, threw the ball into the stands right over my head....then he took his helmet off, and in the melee, it fell to the ground....the rail had broken from the crowd pushing forward at that point and my friend, Todd, fell onto the field. He picked up the helmet and held it. Then Johnson came over and wanted it to give to his girlfriend to whom he was going to propose. We didn't know at the time Todd gave the helmet back that Johnson wanted to give it to his girlfriend as he proposed to her.

    Johnson just said he needed the helmet back because he wanted to give it to a girl Todd said. When the rail just to the right of me broke, I jumped up to the next row and just watched. I got a few pictures of the mayhem which I will send you! I was 10 feet from everything that happened."

    Amazing.

    -Jon

    ReplyDelete