04 March 2008

Presidential Fitness

When I was in grade school the words "presidential fitness tests" would cause a gut-ache and bring tears to my eyes in terror! I'm sure you remember these tests: how many sit-ups can you do in a minute, the rope climb, the bar hang (or pull ups for boys). I suppose there was timed running as well or jumping rope, honestly, I don't recall that part of it. These tests terrified me for a couple of reasons. First of all, I was a chubby girl that didn't have very many friends. You had to pick a partner that would hold your feet while you did sit-ups. I was the kid who had to be partners with that one person that nobody liked (or maybe I was the person that nobody liked) because nobody would choose me for a partner. I couldn't do very many sit-ups, I was never able to climb the rope and the bar hang... well, I didn't hang at all. This was all humiliating to me and provided fodder for the other kids to make fun of me. ugh. it was awful.

Now I am facing the program that caused me so much anxiety as a child. I am willingly joining the Presidential Fitness challenge program. I have created my own group, aptly named "Veni, Vidi, Vici" for my desire to conquer my fitness fears and earn a presidential fitness patch and am inviting my friends to join me.

At one time I was a fit person who enjoyed working out at least 5 times a week. But over the last 8-9 years I've lost that person. It's time for her to come back!! Who knows, maybe I'll even be able to do a pull-up before I turn 40?!

1 comment: